Monday, March 17, 2014

Veteran's Day

Today Veterans don't get the type of respect I believe they deserve. People don't really understand what the armed forces do. It's these people (the militants) who protect(ed) the rights of every American. And yet we tend to forget them. Veteran's Day is important for that reason. Despite our ignorance, we need one day to remember these heroes. Often times its because of how good of a job they do that we forget about them. When was the last time you worried about getting your house rocketed, another nation invading, or rebellion? The least we could do is show appreciation. Veterans and those currently deployed have risked their lives over and over again for what they believe in, for their families, and for their nation. It wouldn't be right to forget those people who sacrificed themselves for us.

My local highschool's ceremony had a pretty good turn out. I was pretty excited to see three rangers! Two Red Berets if I remember correctly. We had a few people talk about WWI, many from Afghan, a few from Nam and even WWII. I was impressed at the reverence the highschoolers showed. It was like a church. (Given there's still chit-chatting at my church..) Considering I'm thinking about going into the armed forces, I really think Veteran's Day is important. (Hopefully) I'll be able to share stories with my children and their school. It's good to share with your community, and learn about things from the past. This gives the opportunity for both.

No comments:

Post a Comment