Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Early America: Jamestown

One of the first and most notable colonies of the United States was Jamestown. On May 14 1607,  around 100 members of a venture called the Virginia Company created the first permanent settlement the English had on North America. Unfortunately for the Virginia Company, their leader had decided to build in a marshland on the James River. Disease spread by mosquitoes and conflicts with the natives/Indians killed many settlers.

In a hypothetical situation like this, I would've tried going as far inland as I could with boats caravan-ing supplies. Once there I'd start building a wall out of wood around 7-8 feet tall, and later start trapping animals and fishing. Once a system is put into place for hunting/fishing it would be time to find the Indians. It's completely out of character for the settlers to go ask for help from what they called "savages" but I believe it would be for the best. Trying to communicate may prove difficult, but being friendly isn't a hard thing to pull off. While I wouldn't have my colony go look for natives, I'd make sure they tell me if they see anyone. Preparing a gift for them would be important.

Honestly I think that is one of America's... The United State's.. North America's.. Heck, I don't know whose fault it is. But I think it's one of the biggest mistakes we've made. Destroying the native North and South Americans is horrible. The United States is probably the most to blame. But it's a real insult that we can't take back. If I could re-do the making of the United States, I'd live along side the Indian.

No comments:

Post a Comment